|Journey to the Center of Carl|
|Airdate||January 31, 2003|
|Invention||Neutronic Sick Patch|
|Previous||Crime Sheen Investigation|
Journey to the Center of Carl is an episode from season one.
Jimmy is annoyed of going to school, and one morning before eating breakfast he reveals to Goddard that he has invented a sick patch that if worn will make you sick but if taken off will make you back to normal. When his parents come to wake him up, Jimmy puts on the patch to get himself sick. His mom refuses to take him to school and when she leaves to let him rest, Jimmy takes off the patch and has leisure time. That afternoon Jimmy gets homework from Carl and Sheen where he reveals his secret sick patch. Soon the word spreads out, and all the kids want to get patches from Jimmy unknown by their parents. In no time the school is empty, and Jimmy is having fun on a daily basis on leisure time. However as days fly by of sickness, Jimmy's plan backfires on him when his dad decides to home-school Jimmy in order to avoid missing any more education. The other kids' sick days are no better either as they undergo unusual and painful methods of treatment from their parents. Cindy undergoes painful acupuncture with 678 needles, Libby gets stung by a wasp, Carl gets stuck in a plastic bubble, Sheen snorts pepper up his nose (which he actually enjoys), and Nick undergoes a leech treatment. After a few days of being annoyed by Hugh's poor home-schooling methods, Jimmy tries to take the patch off but he finds that over time his growing skin has absorbed over his patch thus infecting his blood and the other kids have the same outcomes. With everybody being sick and annoyed by their parents trying to home-school them and get them well in painful ways, Jimmy decides that the only way to get the kids back to normal is if he shrinks himself and goes inside their body to extract 1 mitochondria from the germs that have spread in their bloodstreams. He first tries it on Carl and not long later the kids are better and ready to go back to school. However, in school, Carl and Jimmy exclaim to the other kids to run off to a sanctuary after being introduced by a new student who has a cold.
- Cindy: Your sick patch dissolved into my skin, Nerdtron!
- Sheen: Jimmy, my patch pulled a Houdini!
- Libby: Cure me or face the consequences!
- Carl: I don't wanna be a bubble boy!
- Jimmy: Okay, okay, settle down! I can fix it! Carl, Sheen, sneak out and meet me in the you-know-what.
- Jimmy: We've reached our destination... [sniffs] the stomach.
- Sheen: [seeing toys in the stomach acid] Man. [sniffs] Carl eats a lot of junk, doesn't he? Hey, Carl! You're supposed to play with the toys in The Silly Meals, not eat 'em!
- Carl: I know, but they always look so colorful and chewy!
- Jimmy: Sheen! Start crying!
- Sheen: How am I supposed to cry right now? I don't cry, I'm a man!
- Jimmy: Pretend that Ultra Lord just got canceled!
- Sheen: [sobs] WHY IS THE WORLD SO CRUEL?!!!
- The name of the episode was based on the title of the book and the movie, A Journey to the Center of the Earth.
- When Jimmy becomes sick, his voice sounds like it did in the movie, pilot and shorts.
- The germs seen in this episode are seen again as cameos in the episode "Win, Lose, and Kaboom!"
- This alludes to "Fantastic Voyage".
- Jimmy's pretending to be sick is similar to what Ferris Bueller did in "Ferris Beuller's Day Off", minus the sick patch.
- Carl reveals that he eats toys because they are colorful.
- Viruses do not have mitochondria, but considering the fact that these viruses are immune to the body's natural defenses, Jimmy could have genetically engineered mitochondria into the virus.
- This is the second of the four times Cindy wears a swimsuit.
- Monstro the Whale from Pinocchio is mentioned by Jimmy.
- The book Sick Day is based on this episode.
- In the book, Hugh makes Jimmy drink a disgusting homemade health shake.