|Airdate|| September 10, 1998
Runaway Rocketboy! is the pilot episode of Jimmy Neutron. The short was going to start the series, but Nickelodeon liked it so much that they decided to make the movie and the series was produced a couple of years later.
Jimmy runs away after his parents ground him for launching Carl off the roof. Little do his folks know that Jimmy has been abducted by aliens, who think he knows about Earth's defense systems.
Jimmy decides to blast Carl off into space to test his rocket. Judy sees him on the roof, and promptly punishes him. Jimmy tries throwing a tantrum, but it doesn't work. After being grounded, Jimmy decides to run away from his home and Hugh decides to use reverse psychology to get Jimmy to change his mind. Jimmy goes to his clubhouse lab, the rug rolls up, roof opens and flies off in his rocket. In space, the Yolkians are about to invade Earth, track Jimmy and kidnap him. They order Jimmy to tell them about Earth's defenses, which he knows nothing about. The aliens doubt Jimmy made the rocket he flew to their planet himself. The Yolkians decide to travel to Earth to enslave the human race. Jimmy threatens to crack King Goobot and his henchmen, Ooblar, who "concede" at that threat, and Jimmy rockets home. The chicken ships chase after Jimmy on Goobot's command. Jimmy sees an asteroid and head through it, with the Yolkians in hot pursuit. During the chase, the chicken ships are banged up after smashing into each other, destroying the asteroid while Jimmy escapes. But Jimmy's rocket can't take the speed and burns up in the atmosphere, and crashes in front of a firefighter, where his parents greet him. Jimmy apologizes to his parents for the way he acted and he loves them. Hugh starts telling Jimmy about love and Carl walks in.
- In this pilot/the teaser trailer, Jimmy wears a white and red striped shirt. Starting in the shorts, Jimmy started to wear his trademark red atom symbol shirt.
- The phrase "Oh my God!" is used in this episode.
- This episode is featured on the Confusion Fusion DVD, in the special features.
- The former mascot of DNA Productions in their logo is Helix, a cat-like creature with two tails making a DNA and wearing a white lab coat. This is the only Jimmy Neutron production to use that logo.
- There's a picture of Jimmy in his striped shirt near his staircase that can be seen throughout the series.
- The school bus says "Retroville Middle School" on the side.
- A deleted shot shows where Jimmy says "Gotta blast!" while he and Goddard are in a rocket. This can be seen on some Jimmy Neutron shorts (except for the Calling All Aliens! series of shorts) that aired on Nickeldoeon before the movie came out.
- At the 6:42 minute mark, Jimmy's rocket flies over a car and the driver is Johnny Quasar: Boy Genius's dad.
- S. Scott Bullock and Paul Greenberg, who voiced Goobot and Ooblar in this short, would later reprise their roles for the show and Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast.